Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Go With God Dear Friend

I guess everyone has heard by now that our friend Ken has passed away. Most of us are still in shock. We never saw it coming. LuWanna, our hearts go out to you. I don't know why such things happen. It seems you have had more than your share of troubles these past couple years, but this is unthinkable and unforeseeable. And unreal. I can picture Ken so clearly, and remember his voice, the one he used for telling jokes. So many memories. His crazy Halloween costumes. Those huge aluminum foil pans filled to the brim with his own special recipe lasagne that practically became his trademark offering at our gatherings. That half-embarassed half-naughty grin when he sang one of his off-color songs. He looked pretty natty in his leather jacket, carrying karaoke discs, with a twinkle in his blue eyes when he saw "the gang" sitting around the table in some old bar. Of course we will miss him in so many ways. I don't know why such things happen, and I don't have any answers. But I do know that LuWanna is our friend and I know I speak for others when I say we will be here for her in any way we can be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have spent the day at work trying to come up with a reason why he is gone but as you stated only God knows why he was called home so young. I will always remember him with a deep fondness. He gave some many happy moments to all of us with his jokes, costumes and yes the off color songs, I do not think I will every listen to piece of **it car without seeing ken standing there. We have suffered a great loss for sure and I echo Vi's sentiments and offer of support in any way we can, they are more than friends and always have been like family to all of us. He will be sorely missed but kept among us in our hearts. Mom has no doubt greeted him with open arms asking him to sing "young love" for her..."go with God dear friend"...well said Vi.

Yoob

Anonymous said...

I am at a loss for words on why this happened. Why does God take the good ones is what I ask. Ken and LuWanna are truly part of the family, a gathering just will not be the same without Ken there. His gift of making people laugh, singing my off color song for me (if there were no children around), the lasagne. He lit up the room when he walked in and joined the gang. You always had the comfort of knowing that Ken and LuWanna would show their faces at some point during the night. It will be a hard road and my heart aches just thinking about it. I love LuWanna dearly and we will all do whatever we can to comfort her. It is just unbelievable. He will be greatly missed by all.

Roo said...

I'm at a loss for words. Luwanna if you read this you're in our prayers. Ken was a great amn with a great exuberance for life. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

HUBBYMAN SAYS: I HAVE A HARD TIME BELEIVING HE'S GONE. WE HEARD KEN ON THE PHONE IN LUWANNA'S OFFICE, JUST A FEW HOURS BEFORE HE PASSED. JUST TWO MONTHS AGO, I HAD MY HEART ATTACK, & IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I'M ALMOST FINISHED WITH MY CARDIAC REHABILITATION - & KEN'S COUSIN WAS IN MY CLASS! KEN NEVER GOT THE CHANCE. IT'S HORRIBLE FOR US WHO ARE LEFTY BEHIND - BUT I'M GLAD KEN HAD LUWANNA & GRANDCHILDREN WITH HIM WHEN HE PASSED.

shortensweet said...

I know, I'm a little late. There aren't really words that can explain the loss. Even though Ken wasn't part of my daily life, I miss him. Now that I'm looking for a house, I've thought of numerous questions I want to ask him and can't, at least once a day I hear a good dirty joke to tell him to only have him outdo my jokes with one of his own..I'll miss him