Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Shower of Love


The shower for Laura was held in our downstairs recreation room. Val and the girls worked hard to decorate it beautifully! It was a tea-party theme, and some wore dresses and hats you would see at an old-fashioned garden tea party. The cups were exquisite, although no one actually drank tea. But there were satin ribbons and tea roses in tea cups, a Victorian bridal doll, and many other unique and clever decorations which were admired by all.

Valerie demonstrated how NOT to drink tea. You don't hold your lips ready until the cup gets all the way up to your mouth....everyone laughed and made her show us again and again.
Lisa B. and her daughter Victoria came, the first I have seen them in about 2 years.



The food was great, of course! Some of the specialties were spinach dip and home-made chicken salad sandwiches, some very rich whole grain dark breads, the little BLT's like the ones Mike and Margie made for Mom's memorial....they became a new family favorite. And of course who could ignore those olives and cheese on a toothpick that Emily made. Brandie and Grace helped with the food, which was mostly provided by Jamie. Valerie brought some too. I was supposed to make the punch and I didn't. I was embarassed. So Fritz went to the store and got pop.




The girls put on skits representing Laura in her younger days. In this skit, narrated by Brandie, Grace and Emily play Laura and Jamie in a famous incident in which Laura knocked Jamie off the toilet.
Hailie represented the cheerleader Laura. Her acting was spot on...she did the giggly air-head to perfection.
Grace also represented Laura as Susan B. Anthony, Laura's 8th grade play, in which she played the title role very well, having had to memorize several long monologues.








Emily played the role of rebellious Laura, when she made herself a sign almost exactly like the one you see Emily carrying. She was protesting unfair labor practices and began picketing the living room, refusing to work because of unfair conditions. Laura got quite a few hearty laughs out of it, and we all agreed the girls did a great job playing Laura.











The gifts brought by family members and friends were awesome. I don't know why Cindy or Luwanna didn't get into any of the pictures, but they were there and added to the fun. The twins loved the spinach dip and the "Belle" castle wall decorations. Laura was amazed and pleased at all the recipes. The idea was to shower her with favorite recipes and the ingredients to make the dish. In some cases, guests even provided the cooking dish. The games were fun and creative. It was so fun to have this time to spend with our family and friends, they all went the extra mile to make sure Laura took away many recipes to treat her family with. Oh, but wait, you haven't seen the bride-groom pictures yet! They are coming! (I hope I didn't leave out any other highlights, if I did I am sure I will get some comments on that!)
































4 comments:

VeeFlower said...

OMG! How could I forget....the way to the stairs and all the way down there were fresh rose petals strewn by the girls to show the way to the tea party. Also, they put fresh rose petals on the tables, too. It was quite prettily done. Jamie masterminded most of this as she is Maid of Honor and wanted to do some very special things for Laura to show her how happy we are for her and Chris, and how much we love her and want to her to enjoy this time leading up to the wedding.

shortensweet said...

it was a great party..and it was nice and pretty!!

The kids did a great job with the skit, I was proud of them. Well, except the twins, they wouldn't play along so little laura (grace) and little jamie (emily) ended up taking the part - they were great little babies!

Mom, and it all couldn't have happened without you. There wasn't room at my place to do it! Thank you for creating a great canvas for us to make pretty :)

bunnyjo georg said...

Wow....it was an amazing party. I felt so loved and amazed at what all of you did to make it so special. The pictures are great and help me to recall the day. Oh, you forgot to talk about the games. I absolutely loved the games! I thought they were so creative and clever and I really had fun with them. I'm so glad you guys didn't do the "make a wedding dress out of toilet paper." That's as bad as the "Guess what the baby pooped" game. Ugh! Truly, you all were amazing with everything you did and it made me feel wonderful. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Unknown said...

I had fun too, oh wait... I WASN'T INVITED.

Seriously, though, that skit of the kid's - killer. (I hope Chris doesn't mind me borrowing his word). I have it on my camera and I could probably post it on my blog if y'all want me to. The sound isn't real good, though.