Monday, December 22, 2008



Okay, I did drop Mike on his head when he was a baby. The deal was, I wanted to rock him in a little rocking chair we had, but I wanted the chair to be over by the stove. So I tried to carry Mike while dragging the rocking chair along. I was about 5 or 6 and small for my age. About halfway across the room, I knew I was going to have to drop either Mike or the rocking chair. I distinctively remember pondering which one to drop. Well, I don't remember what series of mental computations resulted in my deciding to drop Mike. But I did.

He cried, of course, and I got in trouble. As you can see from his kindergarten picture, there was permanent damage. Notice the definite jacking of the jaw to the left, and the prominent flap of the ears. Also the shadowy dent in the upper forehead, and the look of a dazed animal in the eyes. Above his head, there is a yellowy-brown stain looking cloud thing that followed him around for years, undoubtedly a result of the depression and persecution complex that is still evident to this day. Also, the buttoned up shirt and suspenders attest to his paranoia about his clothes falling off. He never let me forget it. So here is my official apology: Sorry, Mike! Really! I don't know what I was thinking. Now get over it, okay?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

shortensweet said...

HA HA!!

Well, it sure does explain alot!

WELCOME BACK VEEFLOWER!!

Ray Veen said...

Strange. In my professional medical opinion, I'd have to say that only repeated droppings could account for that much damage.

Anonymous said...

I am over it Vee, Ive always thought it cute and pondered the mental calculations of a 6 year old to make that decision. I do not remember the incident but I do recall you and Laura bathing me in the kitchen sink and generally tending to me when I was in diapers. I would shake the sides of my crib in the morning because Mom and Dad would not get me out and it was always either you or Laura to the rescue. Who knows maybe it was to end the racket that interfered with cartoons but it was kind none the less.
I hope those that hear me bring up the infamous dropping incident do not think I hold any malace or ill feeling as I said, I always enjoyed the story.
Good to see you back, we will come over Christmas night for a visit now that you are more in the pink!
Merry Christmas and thank you for the photos I haven't seen in decades!

Anonymous said...

Incidentally, for those that view the photo and ask "whats up with the doo?"
My parents bought the greatest invention since sliced bread known as the "Trimcomb". You would pass the device through the hair much like a standard comb and the attached razor blade cut the offending locks away like magic....unless you are 5 and lack the skills to keep things even. My hair had grown out a bit by the time this was taken evidenced by the lack of bald patches and missing "stair step" bangs I recall having after attending to my own coiffure.
Yoob

Ray Veen said...

Yoob. You were so stinking cute. Whatever happened to you, man?

Anonymous said...

I think he looks the same, but grew into his ears.
At least you admitted to dropping him Violet - most people would blame someone else!
His post about the hair cuts explains why he won't let me cut his hair - darn it.
Violet, so good to hear you are doing well! Look forward to seeing you on Christmas.
Margie

VeeFlower said...

Of course I know you are only teasing when you bring up the famous dropping incident...but I couldn't resist the urge to tease! That picture is so adorable I had to have an excuse to put it on my blog, after all. Can't wait to hear what Margie thought of it.
One other memory I have is of Mom making me feed you scrambled eggs while you sat in your high chair. I wondered why in the heck you couldn't feed yourself...guess being very small with very young sibs makes for some interesting memories, hey?

Anonymous said...

Hm..no idea why you had to feed me scrambled eggs...PERHAPS IT WAS SOME PETTY REASONING SUCH AS THE SURVIVAL OF HER YOUNGEST OFFSPRING that compelled Mom to make you shove embryos into my toothless and drooling pie hole!
And tomorrow night you will add ham to the nearly toothless but not drooling as much pie hole.
My pie hole thanks you!

Yoob