Sunday, February 15, 2009

20 Things to do With Chopsticks When You're Bored


When Brooke and Paige come over, they always entertain themselves as if life were a game and they are the tokens. Here, they have their toys spread on my bed. What is the game? The strewing of the toys may look random, but trust me, each one has it's place and purpose, and they play the roles assigned to them by the girls. If you ask them, it might be a school for animals but the teacher is getting married to a Barbie, or the elf keeps trying to run away and the animals are going to cook for a picnic....whatever the game is, they laugh and play together all afternoon.
Recently, they spent the night. We met Bryan and Pam at a Chinese restaurant for dinner that evening. After watching a prickly sea urchin and a clownfish in the fish tank, and reading the astrological signs on the menus, they asked the waitress for chopsticks while we waited for our food. Thus began the game.
They practiced picking up things like the straw wrappers and the pepper shaker. The chopsticks were stuck under the nose, and in the hair like devil's horns. "And you act like a devil," Paige explained. They twiddled and fiddled with the chopsticks, and used them like drumsticks. They poked each other and tapped each other. They put them through buttonholes and later, used them like flagpoles for their fortune cookie slips and stuck them in the leftover boxes so they stuck out fortress-like. I can't even remember all the uses they found for the chopsticks, but I could hear them laughing and commenting on them all the way home in the car.
We adults, we just visited. Why does being grown-up mean you lose your fascination for everyday objects, and the creative uses to which they can be put? I always enjoy spending time with the twins, and listening to their chatter as they build their fantasy worlds around stuffed animals, dolls, or chopsticks. I love to see them having fun, and I hope when they grow up they will never lose their sense of fun.

5 comments:

Ray Veen said...

Wow.

This post was just wonderful, Mom. I wish I wasn't at work right now cuz you made me want to hug them.

bunnyjo georg said...

Emily was like that too. I remember one Halloween we were on our way over to your house and Emily was happily chattering away in the car. I looked over and she was playing with two (still attached) strings from her costume - who were enjoying a lively conversation. Another time she was playing "barbies" with a Barbie leg and a bottle of nail polish. Which was the boy and which was the girl is beyond me! This brings back another memory - remember Hailie and her "Play toys!" She said so many things that were so cute....I remember her pointing out the window and night and saying in hushed voice filled with awe, "Ooo, it's dart..."

shortensweet said...

I remember Emily playing 'barbies' with ANY two things. I recall a chicken leg, a barbiedoll leg, a knife...odd children.

The twins are always so silly..I love hearing them play and laugh.

VeeFlower said...

Yes, and who could forget Hailie and the Easter eggs she insisted on breaking, and then making the yolk argue with the white?! And I do remember Emily making everything that got in her hands into a pair of talking heads, oblivious to what was going on around her! I can so imagine her being a director someday. We watched old videos tonight and I could just cry over how cute the kids all were. Ooops...of course, I mean, they still are, but in a different way!

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a suspect as you did in the fall delivery of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=sisoftware sandra pro home xii sp2c 2008 5.14.24 ?
I noticed the phrase you have not used. Or you partake of the black methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg