Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Eagles Have Landed


As promised, I have kept an eye on Mona Lake for the migrating eagles. And a few days ago, Brandie, Grace, Emily and I saw four in a tree next to Mona Lake as I was driving them home. Today, Fritz and I were in the same area and saw a big eagle sitting on the ice. I pulled over on the busy freeway and slogged through knee-deep snow in anklets and loafers to try to get a shot, but it didn't turn out. So we tried driving to the other side of the lake. We spotted this fellow in a tree. I can't tell what kind of raptor it is, except it appeared to me to be a golden eagle, not especially a large one, but it was very hard to see. The image you are looking at was cropped out of a much larger field. Well, there may be snow and cold, but the eagles have landed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard there were eagles around Mona lake, it seems overly populated for them. The next thing you know some punk with a hatchet...

VeeFlower said...

The eagles are migrating back for the summer. They make a stop on Mona Lake. You can drive by them and never see them if you aren't looking closely. They just look like flocks of birds on the ice. Sometimes there are dozens. Look, but don't hack.