Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Field Trips






Here is a confession.
I almost hyperventilate when I go to do something I have volunteered for. Like field trips. Don't ask me why. I get extreme anxiety...what if I get lost, or there isn't a bathroom (I take dirutics) or I go to the wrong door, or sneeze unexpectedly and don't have a tissue...!!?? The list goes on and on. I know it's stupid but there it is. So why do I do it? Field trips are a blast! The kids love them, the teachers appreciate you, it's a chance to spend time with a kid you think the world of, you get to meet the stars and the brats in the class, and get an idea of the forces shaping our kids every day. It's worth it! One more thing: there are some types of class trips that do not lend themselves to good supervising. Such as the recent Meier Gardens trip with Emily's class. The kids scattered in every direction. I ran into many puffing, panting parent/supervisors looking for kids who ran ahead and disappeared. I was glad I was there with Emily.
The gardens were lush and beautiful. A favorite was the rain forest, with the sound of waterfalls, and where hundreds of butterflies fluttered and landed on the visitors. The kids also loved the Great Lakes display, where they got to sail little boats in water that got them all wet enough to shiver on the way home! The kid's area has a maze and labyrinth, with many sculptures and displays, like the table drums Emily and Brooklynn had fun with. Lunch on the lawn back at school meant a circle of friends for Emily, most of whom ended up giving her treats she didn't even have time to eat because yakking was so fun! And hey Chris, thanks for the lettuce sandwich, she ate the whole thing!
The picture of Grace is in an 1800's costume for a field trip to a one-room schoolhouse. I would have loved to go on that trip but parents weren't allowed.
Shucks.
Grace's grandmother Wilson loaned her the outfit. The picture doesn't show that it was pink and real gingham, just like the pioneers sometimes wore. And the hat was skillfully made with very small stitches. The shawl is store-bought, but she needed something because it was a cool day, and it was much more appropriate than the jackets some kids had to wear. I saw a few boys that had their jeans tucked into boots and plaid shirts. They had to pack cold lunches with things like biscuits and apples, hard-boiled eggs, fried chicken, etc. It all made for a fun and educational day.
I have gone with Grace on a few field trips, once to the lighthouse on the Whitehall side, and I was one of a few that was allowed to ring the bell. Now that was a thrill! To the girls: thanks for inviting me! And thanks to the teachers who let the parents hog some of the fun, and thanks to the parents who would've liked to take the day off work but didn't so I could got to go instead.

5 comments:

VeeFlower said...

I misspelled diuretic...hate when I do that. Click on the small pictures and they will get much larger.

shortensweet said...

I remember when I went to the one room school house. It really was fun. I remember being a little disappointed that my teacher insisted on us still learning.
I also remember that we went outside and played little house on the prairie. My lunch was a butter sandwhich.

bunnyjo georg said...

Mom, I'm really glad you get to go on field trips with the girls. Since it is so hard for me to take time off work, it makes me feel really good to know that Grace and Emily still get to spend a special day with someone who loves them. Thank you for going!

Unknown said...

Nice post MamaVee, the pictures look great. I know you've got lots more somewhere, so get back to work posting.

VeeFlower said...

Great! Grandlar, you are forgiven. I am so happy you got the cd to work. My turn to apologize...we could have used a different program that would have made it better, but live and learn as they say. Chill, I have a treasure trove of pictures so check the Purple Patch often! Bunnyjo, doing for my grandchildren what I wasn't able to do for you kids has been a healing force in my life, that is why I appreciate the opportunity, plus I love being with the kids. Shortesweet, remember your Settler's Day costume? You made such a cute pioneer.