Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Little Early For Surfing
















So today I was sitting in my van at the beach, and this truck drives up and parks behind me. In the rain-spattered rear view mirror, I see the passenger is a dude and he is stripping off his clothes. Under normal circumstances this would be cause for alarm, but considering it is a raw, wet, cold day at the beach with the wind spitting sand, it could be nothing other than a wind surfer changing into his wetsuit. I've seen it before. How cold was it? Well, he no sooner got his surf board out then he ran and hopped into the cab of the truck, screaming, "IT'S COLD!" Nevertheless, he and his pal not only attempted to surf, but they also dragged out a kayak that never got beyond the first couple waves. If you live near the beach like we do, you know it's a given that the worst possible weather will bring out the foolhardiest young'uns. Can't help but somewhat admire them, but it makes me glad my son took up writing.

2 comments:

shortensweet said...

This picture does not do the waves one little bit of justice. It's amazing how wild the beach was today.
They had to cancel the ferry, the 'seas' were too high.
Gotta love a wild Michigan spring day, including the big branch down the street that fell down.

Unknown said...

I didn't take up writing until the whole 'superhero-thing' fell through. Villians kept kicking my tusch, over and over and over, until I finally figured out that I was at a disadvantage because I didn't actually have super powers.