Monday, July 24, 2006

Someone Help This Cat

The last night Brian G was here, I was sitting at the computer and heard Smoochie attacking something in my closet. She chased it out into the room. I saw her batting at something on my bedspread. Gingerly pulling the fold aside, I saw a fat mouse clinging for dear life to MY BED! I screamed. Not eeek, it was more like ARGHHH! Fritz got up to battle with the beast, and there was banging and clanging and some more screaming. He ended up sitting at my computer all night with the light on to protect me from the bed-climbing horror. Fortunately Brian didn't hear a thing.
Fritz bought some humane traps, but so far, the mouse isn't having any of that. And today, Smoochie cornered it again under my palm tree, and I broke my palm trying to get at it. The tree, not my hand. Anyway, our cat doesn't have claws. She sniffs it out and chases it, but can't hold onto it unless she bites it, and she is so well-fed I am not sure she realizes she could make a mouse-sicle out of it. So does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting rid of mice, who can hide in the wilderness of an overstuffed bedroom (hey, it's organized, but still very full) or do I have to lie awake at night listening to every rustle and scratch, toes curled and eyes wide, wondering if it'll get under the covers and do something to me I haven't even been able to imagine but am extremely jumpy about?
And don't you macho guys tell me it's only an itty bitty mouse. There is a gene in women's brains that prevents them from seeing any varmint as small and helpless. It's a Jungian memory of dinosaur-like rodents that must have attacked women when the cavemen were away, and the men never believed them when they described the size.

8 comments:

--YooBee said...

Buy a shotgun, see mouse, shoot mouse, repair hole in floor.....done!

HUBBYMAN said...

LOL YOOBEE!!! WE ALREADY HAVE HOLES IN THE FLOOR (FOR THE COMPUTER & CABLE WIRES) THAT, PERHAPS, THE MOUSE USES TO GO FROM MAIN FLOOR TO BASEMENT. ACTUALLY, VEE DOES HAVE A BB GUN (A GIFT FROM MY LATE FATHER), BUT I DON'T THINK THAT WILL HELP. IT WAS JUST IN THE WAY WHEN I CLEARED OUT THE CLOSET FLOOR (LAST PLACE I SAW THE MOUSE THAT NIGHT). ALSO, THE CAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE OVERLY INTERESTED IN THE MOUSE UNLESS SHE CAN SEE/HEAR IT & USE IT FOR A PLAY TOY.

GOOD PIC OF SMOOCHIE (HARD TO GET UNLESS SHE _WANTS_ TO POSE).

Unknown said...

Wanna borrow our killer dog?

--YooBee said...

If you have several snakes living in your house I guarantee that no more mice will live there....

--YooBee said...

If the snakes become a problem keep in mind that Pigs like to eat snakes.....and we like to eat pigs....see how everything just works its way out?

VeeFlower said...

The snake idea is great...the only thing is, there are only a million places in this tartus for a snake to hide and how would I find it when Mom comes to visit!? I know...we could let a bunch of mice loose and wait for it to come out. NOT!

HUBBYMAN said...

LOL!!! VEEFLOWER. I DO SOMETIMES FEEL THAT THIS PLACE IS A TARDIS-LIKE HOME. YET IF IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE THAT THE OUTSIDE - HOW COME THERE'S NEVER ENOUGH ROMM FOR EVERYTHING???? HMMM... HAVE TO THINK ON THAT FOR AWHILE. (BG)

VeeFlower said...

It's a tartus because there is so much stuff on the inside, it had to grow larger than the outside to hold it all. Get it? Your storage media grows exponentially with every new electronic storage gimmick on the ever-changing market, from wax records to digital. And whatever is next, I hope it has the technology to destroy every previous copy made of whatever you are making a copy of and is the size of a protozoa. Now you get to accuse me of packratting, your turn.