Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day, Fritz!

This is Fritz sitting across the table from me at Brann's today. The prime rib was good, but watching a movie together with home-made pizza later will be even better. It's a small way for me to show him that I appreciate him and all he has done for our family on Father's Day.

Now, I would like to proclaim to all who read this blog that Fritz was single when I met him and didn't have any children of his own, but from the day we met some 17 years ago, he has always treated my three children like his own. When I say "like his own," I mean he did everything a father would do. That means helping to keep cars on the road, loaning money, offering a place to live free of charge, supporting their activities in many various ways, and so on. As they were going through the many changes of young adulthood things could become rough, even tragic, but Fritz was always there to be supportive and do whatever he could to make things better. And then came the grandkids! And that meant changing diapers, plunking down the cash when I picked out everything from clothes, outdoor toys, gas money, fast food, books, movies, art supplies, toothbrushes, whatever the grandkids needed or wanted at our house. When I become somewhat obssessed with my grandkids (as I often do) he quietly steps aside and lets me be Grandma, not asking for anything for himself, and not complaining when he doesn't get it.
So, today on Father's Day, I just want to say a huge THANK YOU fand I LOVE YOU for being such a great stepfather to my kids, a great step-grandfather to the grandchildren (which I consider "OURS") and for letting me be, and helping me be, the best parent and grandparent I can be. I couldn't ever have done it without you.
I would also like to send out a huge hug to all the dads in our family who work every day at jobs that aren't always pleasant or easy, who give up time they could be doing something for themselves to do something for the family instead, and who don't drive flashy cars or buy the latest toys for themselves because it makes them happier to see the family get what they want or need. For your sacrifices, for your love, and your unwavering support and dedication to your families, I wish you a wonderful year ahead full of blessings and God's grace for health, prosperity, and happiness! You are creating a present and a future that is making the world a better place to be. Love you all!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

A very moving post, Mom. It really makes me appreciate Fritz and the endless list of things of given me and helped with, and the support and encouragement and unwavering faith in me. Heck, if it weren't for him, I'd have never tried lowry's seasoned salt.

The number one thing I'm grateful to Fritz for is taking care of you, Mom.

--YooBee said...

God Mom what an awful thing to say about Fritz....he's not like us at all....that's what makes him a great B-in-law....

shortensweet said...

That is exactly what I wanted to express...but I was too tired to find the words. Good job Momma

HUBBYMAN said...

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!! I am and

HUBBYMAN said...

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!! I am (and have always felt) proud to be allowed to be part of this wonderful family. Without all of you - I would have NO family (my original family has pretty much died out).

Vi and I had a very good evening &, yes, the homemade pizza was very good!!! Didn't need any Lawry's!!

bunnyjo georg said...

Fritz, what with the excitement of the graduation party and my first father's day with a significant other, a couple important things fell by the wayside: number one, I really needed to let you know how much your love and support has meant to me over the years. You've been more a father to me than any other "father figure" in my life...including my own father. Second, the girls wanted you to know how much they love you and how much they enjoy their special grandpa moments with you. So...even though this is too many days too late, know that you are loved and appreciated and not forgotten!

HUBBYMAN said...

THANKS BUNNYJO!! I'VE ALWAYS KNOWN IT.