Thursday, September 28, 2006

Joanne's Porch Sittin'

One of the things we always loved about going to Tulsa was porch-sittin'. Mom with her coffee, maybe crocheting, I would have McDonald's coffee, and there would always be a neighbor or visitor there. Jim installed a big fan overhead so we could stay refreshed when there was no breeze to catch. There were always plants, candles, and comfortable chairs, with tables to set your drink on. We talked about loved ones, tv shows, ads, traffice, memories, whatever came into our heads. Often a neighbor or passerby would see us sitting and stop by. One of the things I always loved about going to Mom's was just sittin' on that porch, talking it up, enjoying the outdoors, and listening to all the things Mom had to say because usually, we were trying to get caught up on not seeing each other for a long time. Just before I left Tulsa this last time, I took a souvenir from the porch to remind me of Mom. In a bird bath converted to a planter was a little painted glass bird peeping out. When I picked it up to look at it, I saw that it had been broken almost in two, and someone had glued it back together. It made me smile to think of Mom asking Jim to glue it so she could still see it and enjoy it when she sat on the porch. Mom always wanted to share anything she enjoyed, so I know she would like me to have it to put on my porch. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Roo said...

Such beautiful memories.What a great reminder of the simple and good times with your mom. I know that it would give her pleasure knowing you are enjoying it and thinking of her.

Unknown said...

Nice mom. I can't wait to see it out there.