Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mouse in the House Without My Spouse


People, I knew that mouse was just waiting for me to be ALONE in the house. It has been sneaking and creeping around. I have been jumping at shadows, and things I think I see in the corner of my eye. But guess what!? TONIGHT I GOT RID OF ONE MOUSE ALL BY MYSELF. It is in the outdoor garbage can inside of three plastic grocery bags, folded inside some of my art cardboard. Long story.

See, I was elbow-deep in proofreading Ray's manuscript so we can get it ready to send to an agent. And Smoochy came trotting proudly into my "office" with something dangling from her jaws. To my utter horror, I saw that it was a mouse! A beady-eyed, pink-tailed, fat-bellied, good-for-nothin, trap savvy little ball of gray fur thats been trying to move me out of my house and home by terrorizing me. Well, the cat dropped the mouse when I screamed (Sorry, Smooch), but this time she let me know where it ran so that I could go get the pinchers. You know, those long things you use when you're in a wheelchair and have to get something down from the cupboard? I used the pinchers to fold the cardboard around the nasty little thing, dropped it into a wastebasket, tied the bag shut with more bags around it, and put it in the dumpster. I figure it can probably get out sooner or later, somehow. Maybe. What else could I do? Shoot it? Cut it with a knife? Drown it in the toilet? Or perform a "Fritz" style execution and drop it down the garbage disposal? NO WAY. But I am proud of Smoochy, she caught the mouse in her jaws and brought it to me so I could do what needed to be done. I gave her three treats and praised her.
Now, I am on the warpath. Not gonna do mouse anymore. The little sons of beeches always seem to end up in my room!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whenever you decide to get serious about your problem, go out and buy some tried and true mousetraps - nothing's better.

You'll have a few unpleasant finds, but then guess what? ALL DEM MEESES WILL BE DEAD!!

VeeFlower said...

I am going to. I do hate the thought of killing them, but the humane traps aren't working and this is like the 3rd mouse we have dealt with. If you have any bait or location advice I am willing to listen. It's getting so that I can't open a drawer or fumble in the bottom of a closet without being scared something may pop out at me! And my worst fear...Smoochie bringing me a love offering when I am in bed!

shortensweet said...

the poor babies, they just want to go where it's warm and you just want to take their heads off.

big meanie.

--YooBee said...

I have found that a standard .99 cent wooden trap works well, but there are some plastic ones that are much easier to set, very effective and does not splatter or crush things while doing its job. I will get that info to you (or just buy you a couple).
Also, peanut butter works well as a bait due to its aroma, taste and ability to stick to the baiting plate easily.

VeeFlower said...

Thank you Yoob, I do need a Knight in Shimmering Armor to help me conquer the invaders. The traps that don't splatter (omg) sound like what is needed. I knew about the peanut butter. Do you think I should get Skippy or Jif? Crunchy or Creamy? Being that it might be their last meal, perhaps I should invest in gourmet as sort of a peace offering to the Great Mouse Spirit.

HUBBYMAN said...

WE HAVE 2 OF THE PLASTIC ONES & 2 LONG TUBE THAT MICE GO IN, BUT CAN'T GET OUT OF. OUT OF THE FOUR TRAPS - ONLY ONE OF THE PLASTIC KIND CAUGHT A MOUSE (IT CLAIMS TO SUFFOCATE THEM IN SECONDS-PERSONALLY I DONT SEE HOW)& THE TRAP WAS MOVED A METER & A HALF FROM IT'S STARTING POSITION. EITHER THE MOUSE STRUGGLED TO THIS POSITION BEFORE DYING - OR THE CAT MOVED IT THERE. UNFORTUNATELY, VEEFLOWER DISCOVERED IT BEFORE I DID (SEE EARLIER POST).