Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Remembering Our Friend


September 11 was the birthday of a very dear friend who is gone now. All day there have been many tributes and memorial services for those who died on September 11 from the terrorist attacks. While remembering what our nation went through is very important, I didn't want Ben's birthday to pass unnoticed. Although for many of those who loved him, I'm sure it didn't. I'm sure very few days go by without someone remembering him and missing him. We remember him in our own little ways, by raising a glass when we hear one of his favorite songs, or sending thoughts and words his way when we pass by his resting place off the freeway. Writing this doesn't make me feel any better about him being gone. And this isn't going to be an eulogy to say what a great guy he was. He was a friend to many of us and it is just nice to think of him at times, having fun like the picture where he is wearing a Blues Brothers hat. I am sure he sang "Sweet Home Chicago" that night, I may even have it on tape somewhere....it was fun knowing him and I still miss him being at our get-togethers. I am not even sure how old he would have been, but he probably wouldn't have been any wiser, ha ha! Anyway, I don't have any magic words, just Happy Birthday ya brat, wherever you are.
 Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking the other day, if I ever have one of those controversial NDE's (near-death-experiences), Ben would be the one to be at the end of my white tunnel. "You shoulda taken that left at Albequerque dude, PSYCHE!"

VeeFlower said...

LOL! I know what you mean.

shortensweet said...

I think about ben almost everyday...sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. I miss his dumb laugh the most..the dork

VeeFlower said...

Ben was one of those people whose light made every occasion more memorable than it would have been otherwise. But, as Goethe said, "There is no art to find the mind's construction in the face." We don't know what he felt inside, no matter how funny he acted around us. When I think of how it affected me and how it affected people I care about, I get angry. But when I stop and think of the pain he must have experienced each and every day I can't help but be glad that he is at peace and at rest. And I do believe he is.

HUBBYMAN said...

BEN IS DOING AN ENDLESS KARAOKE GIG SINGING "WEIRD" AL TUNES & SOME BLUES BROTHERS CLASSICS WITH JOHN. DOING WHAT HE ENJOYED MOST HERE - ENTERTAINING EVERYONE (INCLUDING HIMSELF).

VeeFlower said...

Hubbyman, I think those words are beautiful and probably quite true....entertaining everyone...I like that.