Friday, April 13, 2007

Why Did The Turkey Cross The Road?


Today being the first day in awhile without gloomy skies and snow, I decided to drive down Sherman to the beach. About a mile from the lake, I saw a turkey casually strolling across the road. A quick check of traffic and one grab of the camera enabled me to get two quick shots.
Two reasons I took a picture. One, it was the biggest wild turkey I have ever seen. It stood over 3 feet tall, I am guessing. And it was alone. I have never seen a turkey sans flock in the wild. And there were no more to be seen anywhere. One more thing. There have been reports of wild turkeys annoying some of the ritzy titsy people who live near the dunes. Some adore them and feed them faithfully. Others chase them with cars, sticks, lawn mowers, etc. Bottom line is, they have a right to live where the habitat suits them and apparently ritsy titsies are not the only ones who find the dune area inviting. Sand mining has already driven off many of the local species, such as foxes, deer, raccoons, and the like. Nature selected wild turkeys to succeed in the area, but what happened to this fellow's flock?

No comments: