Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Goodbye Buffalo


The guy with the banjo called himself Buffalo. He was a musician and an occasional friend. Cujo, the guy with the guitar, is a longtime karaoke patron of ours, and a friend. He and Buffalo played together in various night spots throughout our area, and made a cd of some of their more popular songs. Buffalo was part Indian. When Cujo got very ill there was a benefit for him, and Buffalo made a large dreamcatcher to be raffled off as a fundraiser. I won it. I only bought two tickets the whole night and won it. I also have a choker made of beads with an Indian pattern on it made by Buffalo. Val and I each bought one from him years ago. Once Colleen and I asked Buffalo how he got his name. He grinned a great big grin, turned around to make sure no one else was listening, and laughed, "Because I'm hung like a buffalo!" Colleen and I both got very red, but we laughed a lot over that. Buffalo could yodel, and I used to tease him about being an Indian who yodeled like a cowboy. He was also an Indian who played a ....Jew's Harp! Well, as you may have guessed, Buffalo passed away. I know he was diabetic but he did have some other health problems, too. His real name was Dennis Andersen. He had a lot of friends and will be greatly missed. If I knew how to put music on my blog, I would, because I would like you to hear his singing. I hope he is playing his banjo up there and yodeling, too, wherever Native Americans go after they leave this world.

4 comments:

--YooBee said...

Sounds more like the end of an era than the end of a colorfull life. I never met him but I would have liked to...Rest in peace Buffalo!

VeeFlower said...

Luckily I do have a cd of him singing and yodeling. I will play you a song of his sometime, I know you will both enjoy it very much. He was always laughing and very sweet. For such a huge guy he had a very nice way about him, Val and I really enjoyed his personality. He always gave us a hug. So I wanted to give him a shout out since I know he is somewhere out there. The Cuj is still around though I haven't seen him in ages.

Roo said...

I saw Cujo the other day he asked about you. I told him you were fine. I'm sorry to read about Buffalo. He did have such a nice voice. He was so vry talented. One more voice in heavens choir.

VeeFlower said...

Thanks Roo. Seems like there are all too many friends of mine up there. Glad they aren't suffering, but geez, I sure do miss them so much.